The master of mashups, Justin Blau recently released what you could consider his “capstone” and perhaps era defining piece.
This 30 second 15 drop monsterpiece basically summarizes what EDM is. There’s simply no better way to put it.
I’ve watched electronic music evolve from the likes of Wolfgang Gartner circa 2007 to brostep circa 2009-2010 into EDM and finally into a single song and goddamn if it doesn’t sting. For all those kids out there and especially fans of the festival ‘ONFD’ drops of modern EDM, I hate to break it to you, but there was a time that mainstream electronic had substance.
What Mr. 3lau has created isn’t anything new… In fact his mashup would probably have been called “complextro” a couple years back. What it succeeds to do however, is to demonstrate the utter homogeneity and stagnation EDM has come to. Those who are familiar with my opinion on big room/festival will know that I think it is utter garbage, save for the few bold tracks that actually make a good effort at a little thing we call “sound design.”
Unfortunately as of late, sound design has been replaced by Lexicon reverb with properly tweaked predelay. This means that the only thing stopping you from crushing the charts and headling EDC is your own creativity. If you’re an aspiring producer, let this be a lesson. If you aren’t making it, you’re trying too hard – stick to the goddamn formula.
Make no mistake, I’m not trying to hate on 3lau. What he’s created here is sort of brilliant. Honestly, I respect it, kind of like I’d respect a homie that can fit 15 slices of ham and 30 pieces of cheese into a sandwich and eat it in one sitting. A morbid sort of respect, but admiration nonetheless.
Maybe, the weirdest part about this is the talent showcased. The heavyweight names are there: Botnek (actual sound design champions) Dada, Guetta (meh), MAKJ, Don Diablo (the man capable of being good at whatever he does) etc etc. Tragically, that’s the problem. The biggest names in the game have made hit tracks that sound virtually identical.
You know, my momma said “if I don’t have anything nice to say then don’t say anything at all.” So, I’ll stop short of saying that EDM has become a commercialized farce of the endlessly expansive platform electronic music allows and that everyone buying into the current status-quo either has no idea what a person with a copy of ableton and massive (ahem skrillex) can do or they just are too young to care or know better.
Anyways guys, if you haven’t heard future house is in. So let’s beat that horse into a lifeless bloody pulp in 2014.
I’ll be taking your hate mail all week @BrettEdgerly
– The Chainsmokers – #Selfie (Botnek Remix)
– Jay Hardway – Bootcamp (Original Mix)
– Calvin Harris – C.U.B.A (Original Mix)
– Botnek & 3LAU – Vikings (Original Mix)
– Gregor Salto & Wiwek – On Your Mark (Original Mix)
– ID – Balkan (Re-edit)
– Major Lazer – Bubble Butt (Dada Life Remix)
– David Guetta, Glowinthedark, Harrison Shaw – Ain’t A Party (Original Mix)
– Scotty Boy & Lorenzo – Coke Diet (Original Mix)
– GTA – The Crowd (Original Mix)
– MakJ & Henry Fong – Encore (Original Mix)
– Duck Sauce – NRG (Skrillex, Kill The Noise, Milo & Otis Remix)
– Spencer & Hill – Cool (Afrojack Remix)
– Kill Fm – Superbad (Original Mix)
– David Guetta & Showtek – Bad feat. Vassy (Original Mix)
Other Things Used
– Don Diablo – Knight Time (Original Mix)
– Drake feat. Big Sean – All Me (Ho Shut The Fuck Up)
– Random Clips & Vengeance Vocal Samples
Disclaimer: The views expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of, and should not be attributed to, Your EDM as an organization.