A London teen died last June after swallowing half a gram of MDMA in line when she feared the event’s sniffer dogs would find her pills. Emily Lyon, 17, was attending the Lily Allen-hosted Red Bull Culture Clash DJ competition at the O2.
According to Daily Mail, Lyon took the first quarter gram while on the train to the show, and “bombed” the second quarter in cigarette paper when she saw the sniffer dogs. She said she felt unwell when inside the venue, and that she was overheating and had trouble standing, a hearing was told.
Lyon was brought to the hospital around 10 p.m., but was pronounced dead at 12:50 a.m. the following morning.
A statement was read from paramedic London Ambulance service member Michael O’ Connell during the hearing, that stated Lyon had suffered a seizure before they had arrived.
“We arrived into the loading bay of the O2 Arena where we were guided to the medical room where a patient who was unconscious had already suffered a seizure.
“We were told the patient had ingested half a gram of MDMA.
“Everyone of the patient’s friendship group had taken a quarter of a gram of MDMA, there was 0.25 of a gram left which the patient had then taken, taking the patient’s dose up to 0.5 of a gram.”
DC Scott Albert of the Met police told the hearing that Lyon ingested her group’s last quarter gram of MDMA because she was scared it would be found by the event’s drug dogs.
“From speaking to Emily’s friends the group bought the drugs from a peer at Esher College and it was divided up before they got to the venue.
“Drink was taken on the train into London Waterloo and this is where Emily took 0.25 of a gram.
“In the queue on the way into the venue, she was concerned about drugs dogs and she was waiting to get through security, this is where she took the second, fatal dose, and had taken more than what her friends had.
“She complained of being extremely hot, she had to be helped to her feet by two friends as she was having difficulty standing.
“She mentioned to a friend she felt unwell and it was due to the second dose.
“The venue was very crowded and very hot.
“Some of her friends did not realise how unwell she was and there was a lot of shock and disbelief when they found out.”
Luke Villars, 18, was arrested the day after Lyon’s death after admitting to supplying the MDMA to her and three others. He received a year-long jail sentence and was ordered to do 80 hours of unpaid work.
Source: Daily Mail | Images: Just Giving / SWNS.com, Getty Images