This past weekend at the Leopallooza Festival in Cornwall, England, some dedicated fans got to witness Radiohead’s Thom Yorke play a surprise DJ set … to a crowd of about thirty.
The Evening Standard quotes one onlooker as saying, “He’s probably the most influential artist of the past decade and here he is prepping to play to half a dozen drunk hippies.” Even better, Yorke was apparently pushed into dancing with some of them. Too bad no one was sober enough to take a Vine.
Thom Yorke is no stranger to DJ’ing either. He’s done quite a few sets, and even had a Boiler Room set which was … interesting.
Festival organizers reached out to Pitchfork and stated the following:
Thom is a good friend of the festival and he understands the DIY ethos of this independent event, and he offered a late-night set in our backstage area as a little exclusive, playing alongside the excellent DJ Samo. It was purposely kept quiet until very close to his performance so as not to overshadow anything else going on at the time.
There are several parts I need to correct in relation to the Evening Standard piece quoted!!
1. It was at 12:30am (not 2/2:30am)
2. The air was completely patchouli free.
3. There were at least 30 people present throughout (not including the 7 bar staff working that bar at the time!)
4. No Barn dancing/Line dancing/Dosie-do’ing/
Riverdancing/Morris dancing ever took place – it was just dancing!
5. People knew who he was, but everyone respected his right to have fun & party during his down time. Just as they did everyone else!
6. Somehow it was missed that he also played last year too…. http://sphotos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t31.0-8/c0.166.1549.1033/s960x960/1268559_10151877146028428_1742897078_o.jpg