SoundCloud has come up with a rather genius method of addressing the growing problem of more and more of its content creators flocking to alternative streaming services like Spotify and Apple Music. While the adage “if you can’t beat em, join em” is effective, this strategy takes it one step further.
SoundCloud is now introducing a beta distributor program for SoundCloud Premier users, “allowing creators to distribute their original music from SoundCloud to all major music services including Apple Music, Amazon Music, Spotify, Instagram, YouTube and much more, for no extra cost.”
If you can’t beat em… become a funnel for all the content that they receive?
Thutmose says of the closed beta, “The upload process is straightforward and simple — making SoundCloud‘s new distribution tool easy for artists to share their songs across platforms.”
“Only SoundCloud empowers creators with a unified platform to instantly upload and share, connect with fans in real-time and get paid for their work everywhere — both on SoundCloud and across other leading music services,” said Kerry Trainor, Chief Executive Officer, SoundCloud. “Creators can now spend less time and money jumping between different tools, and more time making music, connecting with fans and growing their careers first on SoundCloud.”
Over the course of the next few months, creators will see new functionality added to the monetization toolset.
Creators who meet the following criteria are eligible to participate in the open beta:
- SoundCloud Pro or Pro Unlimited subscriber
- Has original music, and owns or controls all applicable rights
- 18 years old or age of majority in their country
- No copyright strikes at time of enrollment
- At least 1,000 plays in the past month from countries where SoundCloud listener subscriptions and advertising are available (US, UK, Canada, Australia, France, Germany, Ireland, The Netherlands, New Zealand)
Eligible creators will be notified via email and in-product notifications beginning today.