M.I.A.‘s “Paper Planes” just reached new heights, topping NPR‘s list of The 200 Greatest Songs By 21st Century Women.
The 2007 track was co-written and co-produced by Diplo, giving the electronic musician a fair amount of bragging rights here. But the sound, the vibe, the artistry, and the overall delivery that make “Paper Planes” a true smash — that’s all M.I.A. and there’s no denying her well-deserved top honor.
Rihanna‘s “We Found Love” with Calvin Harris also makes the list at number 40. The stimulating single connects us all through one commonality: love. There’s an energetic and infectious way about it, so no surprise that it stands as one of the greatest collaborations on this collective list.
From Beyoncé to Amy Winehouse, Lorde to The Knife, Paramore to Carly Rae Jepsen, these are some of the very best songs of this time sung by the females of our generation. Cardi B, Kesha, Lady Gaga, Taylor Swift, Adele, Icona Pop, Demi Lovato, Avril Lavigne, Sia, Katy Perry, Nicki Minaj, Lana Del Rey, Grimes and more are all in NPR’s top 200 list.
But, where is Britney, bitch?
Check out the top 10 right below and see the complete list here.
Top 10 Greatest Songs By 21st Century Women
10. Peaches, “F*** The Pain Away” (2000)
9. Brandi Carlile, “The Story” (2007)
8. Alicia Keys, “Fallin'” (2001)
7. Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings, “100 Days, 100 Nights” (2007)
6. Lorde, “Royals” (2013)
5. Alabama Shakes, “Hold On” (2012)
4. Amy Winehouse, “Back To Black” (2006)
3. Beyoncé, “Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It)” (2008)
2. Yeah Yeah Yeahs, “Maps” (2003)
1. M.I.A., “Paper Planes” (2007)
M.I.A. – Paper Planes