The title says it all. You sometimes here some unbelievable stories about someone’s experience at a show, whether that be how drunk they were, how many back 2 back DJs played at the same time and more, but rarely do you actually get photo evidence of the facts. Well cue in teen raver Josh from the UK. Josh was at an abandoned Royal Mail sorting facility where him and hundreds of other people were dancing and raving when suddenly the fire alarm goes off. According to Josh people started yelling “Rip it off, Rip it off” and he figured he’d have a go at it. But instead of having me tell you the story, let’s have Josh give you the juicy details as he personally shared the events with Vice:
Well, at about 1AM we were up in the house room, but I don’t really like house so I was waiting for the drum ‘n’ bass to kick in. As soon as I heard it, me and my mate went down there. Five minutes in, the fire alarm starting going off and everyone was like, “Rip it off! Rip it off!” So I thought I’d give it a go. I was completely sober at the time. I jumped up, grabbed it and my little finger got caught in the case because it was all broken, and as I came to rip it back down, my little finger got ripped off completely.
So at that point any “sober” individual would figure, hey maybe I should go to the hospital to get it checked out at the very least…but no, “sober” Josh (he claims he was sober) decided against it.
I was in so much pain and shock that the first thing that hit my head was the beat and the bass. The bass was hard, so I just ripped off my top, wrapped it around my finger and tied it up as tight as I could and skanked it out for half an hour. My mentality was, ‘I’ve only been here for an hour, I’ve paid £10 for this night, I’ve lost my little finger – am I seriously going to go? Nah, I’m going to skank until I can’t skank any more.’ After that, my mate dragged me down to the paramedics.
So there you have it folks, if you ever lose your finger at a rave, just “skank” it…