Forbes recently sat down with EDM heavyweight Afrojack to discuss what made him the 6th highest grossing artist in 2014. Generating over 22 million last year, Afrojack is still at a high point in his career. One of the men responsible for the huge North American boom in 2011, Afrojack has been building his brand and record label ever since.
Forbes does a great job in selecting the DJ’s they feature and after recently sitting down with Martin Garrix, you can see the differences in the two superstar DJ’s lives. Although all world class DJ’s share an average bedtime of pretty much never, each one of Forbes featured artists has a unique background and story on how they came to be.
Check out the interview below and make sure to read the full story on Forbes:
1. Describe what you do in two sentences.
I run a record label, studio, produce and compose music, and DJ every now and then.
2. What’s your average bedtime?
3. Did you grow up poor, working class, middle class or wealthy?
We had everything except money, raised by a single mom.
4. Who’s your dream mentor?
Max Martin, Frank Sinatra, Richard Branson.
5. What age did you decide what you wanted to be when you grew up?
6. What gadget can you not live without?
Laptop with production software
7. In one word, to what do you most attribute your success?
8. What career accomplishment are you most proud of this year?
Selling out my first solo Arena show in Amsterdam (12,000 tickets) in a weekend where all my other DJ friends were also doing shows.
9. What are you most looking forward to in 2015?
Making and releasing more music, and bringing some new talents I’ve been working with for some years out on the scene!
10. Do you have any kids?
Single dad of one beautiful girl.