In this day and age, social media engagement is almost as important as tickets sold in terms of value of your festival. If your festival sold out but no one was talking about it, did it even happen?
Thankfully, this summer was incredibly strong on social media, Twitter specifically, for music festivals like Bonnaroo, Glastonbury, Lollapalooza, Tomorrowland and more. Twitter was kind enough to keep track of the social numbers behind many festivals this summer and put them into a handy bar graph – as seen below.
A few key points to take away:
- The most Tweeted about festival of the summer was Glastonbury.
- Gov Ball’s most Tweeted about artist was Kanye, even though his performance was cancelled due to rain (though that could just as easily have contributed to the amount of tweets).
- Martin Garrix was the most Tweeted about artist at Lollapalooza this year. Martin Garrix and Major Lazer closed down day 2 of Lollapalooza.
- Many of the festivals had smaller artists beat out headliners for the share of Twitter conversation:
- Outside Lands’ most Tweeted about artist was @halsey, beating out LCD Soundsystem and Radiohead.
- Bonaroo’s most Tweeted about artist was @ChancetheRapper – Chance was not a scheduled artist at the festival this year, but he did something exciting every single day of Bonnaroo, beating out the headliners for share of Twitter conversation.