A random shooting at a California food festival that killed three people, including a 6-year-old boy, this past weekend has prompted a more robust security response from Lollapalooza in Chicago. Mayor Lori Lightfoot pointed to the national response after similar events and promised patrons would be safe.
“Every time something happens nationally — you’ll recall that there was a report a year ago that the Las Vegas shooter had secured a hotel room here — so, we are taking all of these things into consideration,” she said. Last year’s security was bolstered in response to the Route 91 mass shooting in Las Vegas.
“Las Vegas taught us all across the country to do things a bit differently,” Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson said then, promising “eyes in the sky,” including snipers on rooftops, cameras and helicopters.
Of course, it was not as if security was particularly lax before this past weekend’s shooting, either.
A statement was released today by Chicago’s Office of Emergency Management and Communications reiterating that OEMC and the Chicago Police Department “work year-round with the organizers” of Lollapalooza “to plan and rehearse security and response plans.”
“Each year, tighter security measures are implemented including a layered security plan that includes elements that are seen and unseen, in addition to an enhanced security and law enforcement presence inside and outside the festival,” the statement said.
Lollapalooza starts this Thursday and goes through Sunday. Ariana Grande, Childish Gambino, Twenty One Pilots, The Strokes, Tame Impala, Flume, The Chainsmokers, and J Balvin are set to headline.
Photo Credit: Charles Reagan Hackleman | via Sun Times