Featured Artist: Barely Alive
Age: Willie Watkins and Matt Meier, both 21
City: Great Barrington, Massachusetts
Genre(s): Dubstep, Multi-Genre
I love how your name translates to your music, and the creative use of “barely alive” samples throughout this mix; so how did you come up with the name?
The night before our first release was announced, we still hadn’t come up with a good name for ourselves. We decided to watch some random movies to get inspiration, and we heard the words “barely alive” and thought they sounded cool, so we ran with it!
The track-list on this is crazy good, any hints as to where you find your music?
We play the music that we like. A lot of our favorite tracks come from friends of ours, but we always keep our ears to the ground and will grab anything sick we can get our hands on!
Who can you point to as influences to your production and style of DJing?
So many people have influenced our production over the years. We couldn’t possibly list them all, but right now we are really loving what Eptic, Zomboy and MUST DIE! are doing. We have learned a lot about DJing from Dodge in the past year, mainly him telling us that we mix between songs too slowly.
Do you have any big plans for the future as far as shows or productions go?
Well, our second EP comes out Monday as a follow-up to Lost In The Internet. Aside from that, we have a remix for Eptic coming out on Never Say Die in June, and a few tour dates for this summer.
This new EP, “Internet Streets”, has the internet giddy. What should we expect from it?
Each cut on the EP is very different, but we kept a strong focus on the dancefloor for this one. The remix from The Frim is really awesome too!
You guys have really blown up since your inception between sheer numbers and how much your music has charted, how exciting is it to be a part of such a rapidly progressing project?
It’s very very exciting. We are thankful to have a really great interactive fanbase that has been immensely supportive of us from the very beginning.
Well thanks for your time, guys! Anything else you have to say to the interwebz?
If you’re bored, go to google.com and type in “zerg rush”. Enjoy!
1. Barely Alive – Rifle Blow Kiss
2. Astronaut – Apollo (Barely Alive Remix)
3. Far Too Loud – 600 Years
4. Koobra – Something Real (501 Remix)
5. Dodge & Fuski – The Clap
6. Ian Munro – Work It Retwerk (BA’s Ante Up Edit)
7. Spol – Diddy Pop
8. Protohype & Two Fresh – Hear It Go
9. The Brig – All Aboard (Barely Alive Remix VIP)
10. Barely Alive – Spitball VIP
11. Digital Toys – Dayum
12. Far Too Loud – Turn It Up (Desibel)
13. Pegboard Nerds – Bassline Kickin’ (Astronaut Remix)
14. Barely Alive – Dial Up
15. The Brig – Never Stop
16. Botnek & 3LAU – Vikings
17. Far Too Loud – Doomsday Machine
18. Knife Party – Power Glove
19. Duck Sauce – NRG (Skrillex, Kill The Noise & Milo & Otis Remix)
20. Astronaut – Pinball / Skrillex – Bug Hunt (Noisia Remix)
21. Lazy Rich & Hot Mouth – Flash
22. Avril Lavigne – Hello Kitty (Barely Alive & Twine Remix)
23. Eptic – Gun Finga
24. Barely Alive – Keyboard Killer
25. Barely Alive – Dead Link
26. Barely Alive – Cyber Bully
27. Eptic – Brainstorm
28. Diamond Eyes – Rivers
29. Twine – Say Something
30. Justin Bieber – Confident (Barely Alive Remix)
31. Snarebox – Catch Up
32. Barely Alive – Welcome To The Real World (Teminite Remix)
33. Fedde Le Grand & DI-RECT – Where We Belong (Zomboy Remix)
34. SKisM – Like This / Getter – Knives
35. Barely Alive & Datsik – Candy Kids
36. Zomboy & MUST DIE! – Survivors / Skrillex – Scary Bolly Dub
37. Rise At Night – Fingerprints
38. MUST DIE! – Fever Dream pt. 1
39. LAXX – Gold Plated
40. Lets Be Friends – Invasion Of America
41. Getter & Datsik – Hollow Point (Barely Alive Remix)
42. Virtual Riot – Sugar Rush (Barely Alive Remix)
43. Skrillex – Ease My Mind
44. The Two Friends – Sedated (Barely Alive Remix VIP)
45. Emperor – Soundboy
46. Barely Alive – Chasing Ghosts
47. The Brig – Hurricane
48. Diamond Eyes – Night Life (501 Remix)
49. TNGHT – Higher Ground (Lets Be Friends Re-Amp)
50. Barely Alive – Dial Up (Virtual Riot Remix)