Yesterday was the Super Bowl – but seeing as I’m Canadian and not overly into sports, I was more focused on the rituals of eating way too much food and watching the Super Bowl commercials. And in doing so, I was able to see that a lot of electronic music was used in the Super Bowl 2015 ads. The 4 I found were Mountain Dew, Budlight, Fast & Furious 7, and an ad for Jeff Bridges’ ambient album. And I would have mentioned NBC but they don’t seem to be a fan of the great north.
Aside from being absurdly entertaining, the fact that electronic music has broken its way into one of the largest sporting events worldwide and is being used in the ads for some of the biggest products and companies out there, it really says a lot about how far it’s come over the past couple years, and where it’s headed in the future. The day of an electronic Super Bowl might not be too far off – but for now, we’re going to have to settle for Katy Perry and Black Eyed Peas. (We loved Bruno Mars, though.)
1. Mountain Dew Kickstart (A-Trak & Milo & Otis – Out The Speakers Feat. Rich Kidz)
2. Budlight (Steve Aoki & Chris Lake – Boneless)
3. Fast and Furious (Bassnectar – Now feat. Rye Fye)
4. DreamingWithJeff.com & SquareSpace (Jeff Bridges’ Ambient Album)
5. NBC’s Undateable (DJ Snake & Lil Jon – Turn Down For What)
6. Today SuperBowl Commercial (Coldplay – A Sky Full of Stars Produced by Avicii)