People like to give DJ Mag a hard time for its Top 100 DJs poll every year, but fail to acknowledge the other polls that it runs annually. One of the most important for North America is decidedly the “Best of North America Awards,” which spotlights truly standout achievements of the past year.
Categories like Best DJ, Breakthrough Label, Best Boutique Festival, and Best Venue broken down by region give more venues and more DJs chances to shine.
Breakthrough DJ, no surprise, went to REZZ whose 2017 was more stellar than most. Best Live Act, again, no surprise, went to Odesza – if you saw their Coachella performance, there’s no way you could possibly argue this. Best Label went to Dirtybird, while Best DJ went to Claude VonStroke and Best Producer went to Justin Martin, proving the power of the homegrown community.
House Of Yes in New York, Exchange LA, Heart in Miami, Sound-Bar in Chicago, and Coda in Toronto all won for Best Venue of their respective regions.
Ultra Music Festival won for Best Festival, no doubt followed close behind by Electric Daisy Carnival.
Check out the full winners below, as well as more in-depth pieces on all the winners here.
- Best DJ – Claude VonStroke
- Breakthrough DJ – REZZ
- Best Producer – Justin Martin
- Breakthrough Producer – Moon Boots
- Best Live Act – ODESZA
- Best Label – Dirtybird
- Breakthrough Label – Repopulate Mars
- Best Venue North East – House of Yes
- Best Venue West – Exchange LA
- Best Venue South – Heart, Miami
- Best Venue Midwest – Sound-Bar Chicago
- Best Venue North – Coda, Toronto
- Best Festival – Ultra Music Festival
- Best Boutique Festival – Desert Hearts
- Best Album – Lane 8 ‘Little By Little’
- Best Track – ‘Take Me to Your Leader’ Walker & Royce
Photo via Rukes.com